Thursday, August 5, 2010

BLOKES


Heritage Classic, World Cup of Quiddage, whatever you call it, a second outdoor NHL game two months after the first this season earns itself the moniker "Winter Classic Jr" as far as I'm concerned. I don't completely understand the double-dragon marketing idea here, and all Team Gryffindor jokes aside, I Totes McGotes need to get me one of those throwback Calgary Flames jerseys. I've always been a sucker for the rugby-stripe hockey sweaters, and just about anything the Flames do. I didn't even hate the fire-breathing-horse third jerseys from a couple years back (though ALL girls love horses, it's true, even if they pretend they don't). I don't necessarily see the dirty marketing ploy of the "third jersey" concept, I see it as a way for teams to get creative with another sweater, a third jersey is a blank canvas and it's always at least interesting to see what kind of gem/monstrosity comes of it. For such a masculine sport, hockey fans sure care about what threads are on the backs of our athletes.

Looking forward to the Winter Classic and Winter Classic Jr (slightly more interested in the latter to be honest), almost as much as I look forward to the promotional jerseys, and almost as much as I look forward the next Harry Potter installment (dork). Oh and for those of you to whom actor Robert Pattinson will always be Cedric Diggory and not the faggy vampire from the Twilight movies, I salute you.


(photo courtesy of NHL.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop some love... or not.