Sunday, August 8, 2010

NOTCH IN THE SUN-BELT


I’m not one to perpetuate rumors, but Willie Mitchell and his questionably (but not really) large stick could go to San Jose, so consider them perpetuated.

Willie Mitchell is my personal favorite Canuck, and my favorite kind of D-man. I remember seeing a Canucks game in Vancouver a couple seasons ago that saw the Nucks just barely miss the playoffs, the Oilers had a one goal lead and Luongo (G) was pulled when there was a breakaway; Willie Mitchell backs his number 8 into the Nucks goal, his enormous stick positioned like a goaltender, and blocks the shot. This is the kind of player Willie is. Tough, physically old school, competitive, a shut-down guy with fantastic positioning and an impressively low amount of penalty minutes. Dependable I think is the word.

Hugs and kisses Mike Keenan

I shant point out the blaringly obvious point that this is exactly what San Jose needs. But I will. An experienced d-man with an innate defensive sense to counterbalance the offensive prowess of Dan Boyle in their defensive repertoire. Apparently along with SJ, Washington and Detroit are the other front runners for a Mitchell contract, that is if the Canucks do not resign him. I imagine all would offer him a similar contract (one-year*), and if he doesn’t resign with Vancouver, I can completely see him going with San Jose. For one, I’d imagine he would want to stay on the West Coast, not just because it’s the West Coast and that would be reason enough, but because it’s close to home, wherever that is. Also the Sharks management seems to have a good relationship with its players, as players seem to genuinely like playing and staying there. In the past few years San Jose has become quite a desirable place to play, especially for middle-aged players looking for a hot comeback (am I the only one that can see a Cup in San Jose in the semi-near future? It’s lonely in this boat).

Mitchell took a ferocious hit from behind courtesy of Evgeni Malkin during a game mid-season and suffered a devastating concussion, followed by a lengthy brain-numbing, soul crushing rehabilitation period, he hadn’t skated since January but is apparently cleared to return to life. There’s always something. And the snag that occurs with him signing a contract is the questionability of Mitchell’s health and ability to remain healthy. *A huge factor that could be a deal breaker for Doug Wilson (Sharks GM), or lead to a significant “price reduction” for Mitchell’s services. Factors that no one really likes to consider but serve to remind us of the fragility of our heroes, and the general unfairness of being mortal and human.

As a Willie fan, I intend to keep the faith; I’m rooting for the guy. I would love to see him come around and make some magic in Teal down here in the Sun-Belt. Besides, if the medical cannabis (go prop 215) isn’t enough for a “concussion sufferer with chronic symptoms” (hockey injury, I swear doc), there really is nothing like day after day of sunshine to heal the soul, and the tan line shortage.


                                                                            Rock out.

(photos- myself, Puck Daddy, myself)

2 comments:

Drop some love... or not.